Guardian of the Nemanjić sanctuaries of Žiča and Studenica, often shrouded in the mist from which it takes its name, Maglič rises on a hill on the right bank of the Ibar, about twenty kilometers south of Kraljevo. Built on a narrow plateau belonging to Mount Stolovi, it can be reached only by land from that side. On the other three sides it is surrounded by the rivers Ibar and Maglašnica. The fortress overlooked the old road through the Ibar valley leading to Kosovo, as well as nearby mining sites, especially in Gokčanica and further south in Plana.

There are almost no traces of Maglič and its immediate surroundings in written sources. The only mention is found in the “Life of Archbishop Danilo II” (c. 1270–1337), composed by his disciple: “And in the city of Maglič, there were known deeds of his labors. For in it he raised beautiful palaces and other cells for those who dwelt there. And in the Church of St. George, in that city, he established the divine law to be performed unaltered forever, abundantly providing divine books and all other church necessities. For such many feats and offerings to the houses of God, may the Lord grant him eternal bliss.”

Maglič, 1689, War Archives in Vienna, taken from the book “Maglički zamak” by Marko Popović.

An older fortification existed at the site of Maglič, preserved only in fragments. When the castle was built, parts of this fortification were demolished. This earlier fortification was once considered ancient or early Byzantine, but its construction should be dated to the first half of the 12th century, when building was also taking place in Ras, and probably Jeleč and Brvenik were erected. It was a relatively small castle on a naturally defended position, typical of the Komnenos dynasty period. Precise dating is not possible due to poor preservation. Archaeological research indicates traces of fire, after which it was rebuilt. Since it is not mentioned in the charters of Stefan the First‑Crowned, it may have been abandoned at the beginning of the 13th century.

The further history of Maglič was tied to the construction of Žiča, which became the seat of the Serbian Archbishopric. Built in a place without natural defenses, Žiča was vulnerable. In 1292, it suffered greatly in the retaliatory campaign of Vidin’s Prince Shishman. Reconstruction was begun by Archbishop Eustathius II and completed during Archbishop Danilo II, whose “Life” testifies to his efforts to restore Maglič. The fortress, about three hours’ walk from Žiča, could serve as a refuge in case of danger. Thus, the newer fortification was most likely built at the end of the 13th or beginning of the 14th century, during the reconstruction of Žiča. As the first fortress built under the Nemanjić dynasty, Maglič served as a model for later fortifications.

Possible appearance of the Maglič fortress in the early 14th century according to Marko Popović.

The newer fortification had an irregular polygonal shape, following the terrain. The perimeter of the walls was 270 meters, enclosing an area of 2,200 square meters. Inside were the Church of St. George and the Palace. Near the church a small necropolis was discovered, the only example of burials inside a medieval fortress that was not an urban settlement. On the side facing Stolovi a ditch was dug. The wall was reinforced with eight towers. Built of local stone (serpentine), with carved tufa used for vaults, arches, and doorframes, the walls were filled with smaller stone bound with white lime mortar, about two meters thick. This construction method contributed to the relatively good preservation of Maglič. The fortress also contained two cisterns, one near the Main Tower and another by the Church.


In the second quarter of the 14th century, Archbishop Danilo II initiated additions to the fortress. The Church received an outer narthex and bell tower, and its interior was painted with frescoes. The Palace was expanded with a new hall upstairs, with four windows and a portal. New residential buildings were erected, including the luxurious Northeast Building. However, the theory that Maglič served as the archbishop’s residence cannot be fully accepted, as there is no written confirmation. At the turn of the 14th 14. to 15th century, some buildings suffered damage from fire, including the Palace and the Southwest Building. It is unclear whether the fire was caused by attack or accident. These structures were not rebuilt before the Ottoman conquest.

Model of the Maglič Fortress in the Archaeology Hall at the Permanent Exhibition of the National Museum Kraljevo.

Maglič fell under Ottoman rule during the final collapse of the medieval Serbian state, most likely in 1455, when the Ottomans occupied the Ibar valley. In the Ottoman census of the Smederevo Sanjak (1476), the Maglič district was listed, covering the area from Požega and Čačak in the west to Trstenik in the east, and south to Kopaonik. During the 16th century, the district gradually took the new name Požega district. The fortress itself was not destroyed; a Turkish garrison was stationed there, though its numbers declined as the empire’s borders moved north. The garrison remained until the late 17th century, mainly to guard important communications.

During the Viena War (1683–1699), especially the Austrian offensive that reached Skopje, old fortresses regained importance. A drawing of Maglič made by Austrian cartographers survives. Serbian insurgents briefly captured Maglič and Koznik. The fortress appeared on several Austrian maps of the 18th century. By then, Maglič was abandoned. Its last role in warfare came during the Second Serbian Uprising in 1815. By order of Prince Miloš, Duke Radoslav Jelečanin ambushed Turks from Novi Pazar near the fortress. Though initially outnumbered, the insurgents withdrew into Maglič and managed to turn the battle in their favor. According to legend, echoes of this battle can still be heard above Maglič on the eve of St. Peter’s Day.

Maglič in Myst, photo by Svetlana Dingarac.

In the 19th century, Maglič attracted the attention of travelers passing through the Ibar Gorge, beginning with Joakim Vujić. The first scholarly work on the fortress was published in 1934 by archaeologist Milivoje Radovanović. Though there are no traces of deliberate destruction, the abandoned fortress gradually decayed. Maglič was researched twice in the second half of the 20th century, from 1960 to 1963 and from 1975 to 1985.

Even today, after eight centuries, its imposing walls still watch over travelers in the Valley of Centuries. Unfortunately, access to the fortress was blocked after a flood destroyed the bridge, and it has not yet been replaced. However, thanks to volunteers of the association Magličgrad, who organize transport by raft, since 2022 it has again been possible to climb to the fortress. In addition to transport, volunteers care for the fortress, having established a camp and cultural center at its foot.

Milena Baltić
Editor of the Educational‑Scientific Program
of the Official Internet Presentation of the National Museum Kraljevo

Pin It on Pinterest